About Me

My photo
Web person at the Imperial War Museum, just completed PhD about digital sustainability in museums (the original motivation for this blog was as my research diary). Posting occasionally, and usually museum tech stuff but prone to stray. I welcome comments if you want to take anything further. These are my opinions and should not be attributed to my employer or anyone else (unless they thought of them too). Twitter: @jottevanger

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The overlap grows

Everyone knows how the distinctions between online and offline, virtual and real are becoming, if not useless, then messy and one extends further into the other - and it does indeed go both ways. It's in part about what and where things happen but also about our attitudes. Quantitative changes and qualitative shifts. Taking photos on your mobile (not me, as a luddite) and getting them onto your blog or Flickr immediately shrinks the gap between apprehension and publishing. Even more, using your portable to get info when you need it integrates it ever more tightly into the processes of doing stuff in the physical world, without us worrying too much about the distinction. In museum applications, My Art Space illustrates this nicely.

William Gibson on the crumbling of the term "cyberspace" here

No comments: