About Me

My photo
Web person at the Imperial War Museum, just completed PhD about digital sustainability in museums (the original motivation for this blog was as my research diary). Posting occasionally, and usually museum tech stuff but prone to stray. I welcome comments if you want to take anything further. These are my opinions and should not be attributed to my employer or anyone else (unless they thought of them too). Twitter: @jottevanger

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

LIDO references

I've had cause to send links about LIDO (Lightweight Information Describing Objects) to a bunch of people and every time struggle to find them because they don't float to the top in Google and, being PDFs, the Delicious bookmarklet doesn't cope with some of them so I hadn't put them there.
So anyway, if you're looking for a way in to LIDO, here are a couple of good references:
If you know any other resources worth adding, let me know. Also, your thoughts on where LIDO fits in and what its strengths and limitations are would be very welcome! The documents stress that it is a harvesting format rather than a full data exchange format, but is it actually perfectly good for this in many circumstances? If I choose to use it as the format for records coming out of our (forthcoming) API, will I be missing something important?
BTW I have now added these to Delicious the manual way: http://delicious.com/jottevanger/lido

2 comments:

Robert Huber said...

Hi Jeremy,

I just implemented LIDO support for CollectConcept. Some examples how this format looks for real objects can be found here:
http://www.collectconcept.de/obj_xml.php?objectid=3349&format=lido
or here
http://www.collectconcept.de/obj_xml.php?objectid=3344&format=lido

Jeremy said...

Hi Robert,
Thank you, that's very cool indeed. LIDO in the wild, and on what looks like a really exciting service, too (if Bing's flaky translation of your home page serves me well enough!) Do I understand correctly that it's working in the same sort of space as eHive? That seems like a really interesting area to be bringing standards like LIDO to - it means that bit by bit private collectors can get their collections into a form where, even if they never get actually drawn into Europeana and the like, the two can still be aligned. Good luck with it, and thanks for bringing it to my notice.